Happy New Year 2023
Global AI-Entrepreneurship Technovation Competition for TL Girls!
Technovation - the world’s largest technology competition for girls invites TL students to participate!
- Work in teams - Students are guaranteed to have a lot of fun, working in teams on meaningful problems in their communities that help build their sense of purpose and identity. Over the course of 12 weeks (meeting once a week) students will explore and discover what real-world problems they care about and what they can do to tackle them - as a team.
- Cutting-edge technologies - Secondly, students will learn about exciting new technologies, such as AI, and how they can apply AI-based technologies to help others. No prior technical knowledge is required.
- Thirdly, become an entrepreneur! Students will get the unique opportunity to launch an actual startup or business over the course of the program.
- And finally, they will be able to deepen their sense of purpose and values by tackling a real-world problem that makes the world better.
Technovation alumnae have been featured on BBC and CNN and are incredible changemakers, leaders and entrepreneurs; like 3-time Technovation participant, Gitanjali Rao (Time Kid of the Year). If you are curious, watch the documentary, Codegirl, to learn more about the competition and get inspired :)We will be hosting weekly Technovation sessions at the TL/Mariposa library on Tuesday and Friday night (5 PM to 7 PM), starting the week of Jan 24. If you are interested in being part of this global, problem-solving community of girls and parents, please register here and pick which days of the week (either Tuesday or Friday) would work best for your daughter to attend. Please contact Ms. Gulati if you have any questions [email protected].
TLM PTA NEWS
Sign-up to Help with TL Lunch
Welcome back! Thank you to everyone who volunteered last semester. It makes such a difference to have extra help for our hard-working lunch server and our students. The January sign up is available and there are a lot of slots available. It would be wonderful if we could continue to have two helpers per day in the new year. Please sign up here to help. Thank you!
San Carlos Education Foundation (SCEF)
We are incredibly grateful to those of you who donated to SCEF to support a well-rounded education for every student including support for your school’s PTA. Your contributions extend library hours, provide mental health support, additional technology resources and staff support, music at every grade level, teacher grants, assemblies, library books, celebrations, community gatherings and more. To learn more, visit www.scefkids.org
Save the Date: Mark you calendar for these upcoming events:
- Online Auction featuring Teacher Outings and Summer Camps, Feb 6-13
- Virtual Salute to Educators-Online Silent Auction, Live Auction and Fund-A-Need Sunday, Mar 12
- Revel at Devil’s Community Dance Party, May 6
January Reminders - COVID Tests & Lunch Ordering
Did you order hot lunch for January? Ordering closes a week before the meals are delivered so place your orders as soon as possible to ensure your child gets the meals they want. If you order, please have a conversation with your child first. Find out whether they like the meals, eat their entire meal, and how often they throw the meal away. Our compost bins are overflowing each day with meals that are opened and then thrown away. We need your help to avoid food waste and ensure our students have the nutrition they need to power through the day’s learning. Please only order meals if your child likes the food and will eat it. Thank you!
It's Time To Register NEW Students for the 2023-24 School Year!
All completed registrations received during the priority registration period will receive priority into their home school if space is available. Registrations received after February 10 will be processed on a space-available, first-come, first-served basis. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page or email us at [email protected]8.org if you have any questions.
Virtual TK/Kindergarten Welcome Night for New Families
Do you have friends or neighbors who have an incoming TK or Kindergarten student? If they are NEW to the district, please encourage them to join us for our Virtual TK/Kindergarten Welcome Night! Designed to provide families with information about the San Carlos School District, our community partners and programs, as well as an an overview of how to register for school - Monday, January 9 from 6:30-7:30 pm via Zoom. See flyer for more information.
Mark your calendar for these important Key Dates:
- Monday, January 9 - Virtual TK/Kindergarten Welcome Night for New Families - 6:30-7:30 pm
- Tuesday, January 10 - New Student Priority Registration Opens in PowerSchool at 12:00 pm (only for students NEW to the district)
- Wednesday, February 1 - Intradistrict Transfer Google Form opens for families wishing to request a transfer to another school within SCSD - 12:00 pm
- Wednesday, February 1 - Schools hold Virtual Elementary School Tours for Incoming TK/Kindergarten Families - 4:00-4:30 pm
- Friday, February 10 - New Student Priority Registration Deadline - 4:00 pm
San Carlos Week of the Family Starts Jan 13!
The fun continues for the next 2 weeks including community service projects, trivia night, Hiller Museum event, scavenger hunt, Library events, Children’s Theater, bike events, Reading Bug events, pickle ball, bocce ball, history walk, Crab Feed and more!
Check out www.sancarlosweekofthefamily.org for all the details!
Parent Education Opportunities
NEW! What is "radical inclusion" and why does it matter? Vikram K. Jaswal, PhD, Professor of Psychology, University of Virginia, presents Radical Inclusion: Understanding Visible and Invisible Differences (January 18, Online).
Visit the Parent Venture Series of Upcoming Events page for more information.
- Parent Venture Series Events -