Students return to school on Jan. 4. See a separate message about Covid testing, exposure, symptoms, illness and quarantine.
Youth Center Closed January 3rd-January 17th
As a precautionary measure, the Youth Center Drop-In Program will be CLOSED for the next 2 weeks as COVID-19 cases in the Bay Area have rapidly increased. The closure will be effective Monday, January 3rd through Monday, January 17th. We will reopen on Tuesday, January 18th.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause to you. With the health and safety of our Youth Center participants and staff in mind, we are hopeful this modification to the Drop-In program will help mitigate exposure.
Westminster Woods for 7th and 8th Grade Students - Informational Meeting Jan. 5
We will have a zoom parent meeting, Wednesday, Jan. 5, at 7:00 pm. Specific details about the Westminster Woods experience, covid protocols and testing will be shared at this meeting. It will be recorded if you are unable to attend. Paperwork/registration for the trip will be sent home by Friday Jan. 7. If you have not filled out the interest form, please fill it out indicating "yes, no or maybe" regarding your child's interest in attending. We will use information from this FORM so that we create a packet for students indicating yes they would like to attend.
Join Zoom Meeting Jan. 5 at 7:00 p.m.
Meeting ID: 942 4355 3364
Testing Kits Available for Pick-up, Monday, Jan 3
- Arroyo Upper Elementary School 1710 Arroyo Ave, San Carlos 9:30am-11:30pm and 12:30pm–3:00pm
- Heather Elementary School 2757 Melendy Drive, San Carlos 9:30am-11:30pm and 12:30pm–3:00pm
- Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula 2031 Pulgas Avenue, East Palo Alto 9:30am-11:30am and 12:30pm–3:00pm
No! There is NO state-wide testing requirement for returning to school. While schools may have local testing policies for students, the state does not require a documented negative test to return to the classroom.
Is there any cost for students associated with these tests?
No! These tests have been purchased by California Department of Public Health with funds provided by Federal Government to support testing in schools.
Several brands of at-home/over-the-counter tests will be provided. All are approved by the FDA under Emergency Use Authorization as rapid antigen tests with results in under 30 minutes.
Who performs the tests?
The tests are completed at home by students (or by legal guardians on the students). This is in addition to at-school testing programs and should not be used to meet existing testing requirements.
The box contains two tests.
No. The tests should be 1-3 days apart as per the manufacturer’s instructions for use. If someone develops symptoms of COVID-19, they can also use the tests at a different time. Please see below for more guidance.
COVID Reminders - Stay Home When Sick and Get Tested
Common Symptoms of COVID-19 (CDPH)
- Headache, Fever or Chills, Cough, Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, Fatigue (tiredness), Muscle or body aches, New Loss of taste or smell, Sore throat, Congestion or runny nose, Nausea or vomiting, Diarrhea
- If you have any of the symptoms listed above, call your school office to report an illness, stay home, and take a COVID test.
- If you need to report a COVID case, please call our District Nurse - Page Pollack at 650-632-8300 (Arroyo Office) or Human Resources at 650-590-5922 if the Nurse is unavailable or during school breaks.
For additional information, visit our COVID-19 Resources page and review the SCSD Health & Safety Plan.
Additional Days for Curative Van
Central Middle School (parking lot)
- Mondays 11:00 am-6:00 pm
- Tuesdays & Wednesdays 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- Thursdays 12:00 pm-7:00 pm
- Fridays 11:00 am-6:00 pm
Sign-up for testing at Central here
Tierra Linda Middle School (parking lot)
- Wednesday & Friday 11:00am-5:00 pm
- Saturday 8:00 am-3:00 pm
Sign-up for testing at Tierra Linda here
Other Community Based Testing sites in San Mateo County Here
TLM PTA News
January PTA Meeting
We hope you can join us on January 10th at 7:00pm via zoom. PTA meetings are a great opportunity to hear directly from principals and connect with our parent community. HERE is zoom meeting link and HERE is the agenda. Meeting ID: 841 9130 8616 / Passcode 254093 (Note, we are using the same mtg ID and passcode all year.)
TLM Staff Coffee on 12/13 - Thank You PTA Members!
A huge thanks to all TLM PTA members! Because of you, the PTA was able to have a barista come to campus on Monday, 12/13 for the TLM staff, along with a continental breakfast. Our next PTA sponsored staff luncheon will be in February. Thanks for your support, Molly Nguyen & Lagille Rodriguez, TLM PTA Hospitality Chairs
San Carlos Education Foundation (SCEF)
The 2nd annual Read-A-Thon starts NEXT week, on January 10th–please REGISTER NOW.
Visit www.scefkids.org/read2022 to register and learn more! SCEF’s goal is 100% participation across the district!
4 STEPS TO GET STARTED
1. REGISTER your child at the link above
2. SHARE the 99Pledges donation page with family and friends*
3. ENCOURAGE your child to READ!
4. LOG reading and listening minutes January 10-22
* Fundraising isn’t required to participate
A BIG Thank You and Deep Appreciation
We want to thank you for your support and commitment to our students, teachers and staff. Amid challenging times, you, and the entire San Carlos community, have made supporting our public schools a priority. We look to 2022 with great hope.
Virtual TK/Kindergarten Information Night for New Families - Jan 10
New Student Priority Registration - Jan 11-Feb 11
Registering a New Student - To get a jump on registration, familiarize yourself with our online registration process by visiting our How to Register for the 2022-23 School Year page for more information. Questions? Call your school for more information on the registration process.
Transitional Kindergarten - Will your child turn 5 between September 2, 2022 and February 2, 2023? If so, they will be enrolled in our Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program. Visit our Transitional Kindergarten program page to learn more.
New Student Priority Registration - For all students (TK-8th grade) opens on Tuesday, January 11, 2022. Priority registration closes on February 11, 2022.
Visit our Key Dates page for New Student Registration and Transfer Timelines:
- Monday, January 10 - Virtual TK/Kindergarten Welcome Night for New Families from 6:30-7:30 pm
- Tuesday, January 11 - New Student Priority Registration Opens for All New Students at 12:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 26 - Schools hold Virtual Elementary School Tours for Incoming TK/Kindergarten Families from 4:00-4:30 pm
- Friday, February 11 - New Student Priority Registration Deadline, 4:00 pm
Parent Education Opportunities
Art Takes a Bus Ride (1st-12th Grade Students)
The San Mateo County Office of Education is partnering with SamTrans to give students a chance to have their artwork displayed on the side of a SamTrans bus for an entire year. Artwork must illustrate this year’s theme of San Mateo County Reopens. Learn more.
SCSD Day at Stanford Basketball - Feb 6 - Discounted tickets on sale now!
Join us at Maples Pavilion as the Cardinal takes on the Washington Huskies. Get to know your fellow SCSD families seating in the same section. All SCSD students in attendance will receive a Stanford t-shirt!
Use promo code SCSD to purchase tickets at the discounted price, starting at just $12. The promo code is active, and families can begin purchasing tickets right away.